Employment authorization card

September 20, 2006

As my husband came here with a L1-visa, I received a L2-visa and was authorized to work. But therefore, I had to ask a work permit or the “Employment Authorization Card“.

– It takes usually 90 days to get the card.

– Process:

  • Fill in form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). You will find the form and the instructions on the website of USCIS.
  • Make a check of $180 payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  • Include a copy of form I-94 Departure Record (front and back).
  • Include 2 passport-style color photos.
  • Where to file varies by which category of eligibility applies to your case and where you reside (see instructions).

Social Security Administration

July 30, 2006

The first thing to do in the US is to ask for your social security number (as it will be required to open a bank account, be insured, get your driver license,  obtain a check book and a credit card, …).

  • You have to wait 10 business days after your entrance in the USA before to ask your social security number. This will allow for enough time for your immigration information to be entered into the system, which is then verified by the social security office.

  • You have to be present to the SSA office. You can’t ask to someone else to go for you.

  • Go to the closest office of your residence, phone : ( 800 ) 772-1213 and present your passport, your American visa and the form I 94 delivered with the visa.

  • Your social security number will be mailed into 4 weeks.

  • Be sure that your name match with your passport name.

  • Be careful not to reveal your Social Security number, as it gives access to numerous information about your private life.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

July 30, 2006

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: is the administration of benefits and immigration services. Your responsibility is to give your new address in writing to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days of each time you move. Failure to comply can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. You must file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card. You must file this form within 10 days of your move. There is no fee to file this form.

Send Form AR-11 to:
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

July 30, 2006

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): It is necessary to get an official driving license of the State of
California because it is considered as a valid Identification Card.

  • When you make your home here or take a job and you want to drive in California, you must apply for a California driver license within 10 days. Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a driver license as long as their home state license remains valid.

  • After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 60 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Double-check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect.

  • If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an Social Security Number, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN.

Child born in US

July 30, 2006
  • Complete forms in hospital to get social security number for your child. The SSN will be mailed within 6 weeks.

  • Birth certificates must be ordered to the Department of Public Health of the County where the child is born. Normal application processes is between 1-3 weeks.

  • If you need urgently to have a passport for your child: you may use expedited services for the birth certificates.

  • To get a US passport for your child, go to the closest post office of your residence with a birth certificate, 2 passport photos of your child and see the website of US department of state  for the other requested documents.