January 29, 2009
In order to encourage people to share their car, Authorities implemented the carpool lane. The rule is simple: if you are 2 people or more, you can use the carpool lane (left hand side lane) during the comuting hours (5am – 9am) and (3pm – 7pm). One exception to that rule is if you drive an hybrid car. To take benefit of that exception, do the following:
- Purchase a Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid or Toyota Prius. These are the only hybrid vehicles currently permitted in California.
- Fill out DMV REG 1000 form to apply for an HOV lane sticker for your hybrid. Your vehicle must have valid license plates before applying.
- Include the $8 fee.
- If you live in the Bay Area, you must also have a Fastrak transponder for bridge crossings to qualify for this sticker. See How to Register With Fastrack for more information. You will need a receipt from Fastrak to submit along with your DMV REG1000 form. If you have a Fastrak already, you must exchange it for a Hybrid Fastrak prior to submitting to DMV.
- Place the stickers on your car in the designated places.
- Save time by driving in the diamond carpool lanes and diamond freeway entrance lanes.
Tip: DMV will issue a limited number of these stickers, so you might want to get yours right away. Also consider driving electric or compressed natural gas vehicles, which have fewer emissions than hybrids and also qualify for the HOV lane.
July 30, 2006
Driving license (DMV): It is necessary to get an official driving license of the State of California because it is considered as a valid Identification Card.
Get first your social security number before passing your theoretical exam. See section Administration-DMV for more explanation about SSN requirements.
When you make your home here or take a job and you want to drive in California, you must apply for a California driver license within 10 days. Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a driver license as long as their home state license remains valid.
Get an official driving license of the State of California before buying a car because insurance companies will not insure you with a driving license from your home country.
Tip: If you are in a temporary house/appt and don’t know yet your definitive address, give to the DMV the temporary address and don’t tell them that you will move because otherwise they will slowdown the process.
Written traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass. Review the California driver handbook.
Tip: If you don’t have time to review the handbook, we suggest you to make the sample tests as most questions are recovered.
Tip: If you prefer, you may pass the written in your language instead of English. See if your language is available.