Employment authorization card

September 20, 2006

As my husband came here with a L1-visa, I received a L2-visa and was authorized to work. But therefore, I had to ask a work permit or the “Employment Authorization Card“.

– It takes usually 90 days to get the card.

– Process:

  • Fill in form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). You will find the form and the instructions on the website of USCIS.
  • Make a check of $180 payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  • Include a copy of form I-94 Departure Record (front and back).
  • Include 2 passport-style color photos.
  • Where to file varies by which category of eligibility applies to your case and where you reside (see instructions).